In addition to the material on the submissions website, below are some useful links to resources and materials in Australia and overseas
Materials on the Exposure Draft HRAD Bill
- Senate Committee Report on the Exposure Draft HRAD Bill
- Powerpoint presentation prepared by the Australian Human Rights Commission
- Briefing Paper prepared by Australian Human Rights Commission
Please visit the Attorney-General's Department website via this link to download copies of the exposure draft HRAD Bill and explanatory materials.
Federal Legislation and Guidelines
- Federal Discrimination Law Comparative Table
- Age Discrimination Act 2004
- Disability Standards for Education 2005
- Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986
- Human Rights (Sexual Conduct) Act 1994
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984
- Disability (Access to Premises - Buildings) Standards 2010
Commonwealth Government related websites and reports
- Commonwealth Attorney General’s Department Anti-discrimination page
- Australian Human Rights Commission
- Federal Discrimination Law On-Line (Australian Human Rights Commission)
- Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency
- Report of the Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs into the Effectiveness of the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 in eliminating discrimination and promoting gender equality
- Government Response to the Report of the Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs into the Effectiveness of the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 in eliminating discrimination and promoting gender equality
- National Anti-Discrimination Law Gateway (Commonwealth Government)
State and Territory Equal Opportunity Legislation
- Australian Capital Territory Discrimination Act 1991 (ACT)
- New South Wales Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW)
- Northern Territory Anti-Discrimination Act 1996 (NT)
- Queensland Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 (QLD)
- South Australia Equal Opportunity Act 1984 (SA)
- Tasmania Anti-Discrimination Act 1998 (TAS)
- Victoria Equal Opportunity Act 1995 (VIC)
- Victoria Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (VIC) (in effect August 2011)
- Western Australia Equal Opportunity Act 1984 (WA)
State and Territory Equal Opportunity Commissions
- ACT Human Rights Commission
- New South Wales Anti-Discrimination Board
- NT Anti-Discrimination Commission
- Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland
- Equal Opportunity Commission SA
- Office of the Anti-Discrimination Commissioner Tasmania
- Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
- Equal Opportunity Commission – Western Australia
United Kingdom - Links
- Discrimination Law Review - A Framework for Fairness – Proposals for a Single Equality Law Bill for Great Britain
- Fairness and Freedom – the Final Report of the Equalities Review
- Government Equalities Office
- Equality Act 2010 (UK)
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (UK)
South Africa – Links
- Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 2000
- South African Human Rights Commission
- Commission for Gender Equality – South Africa
Canada – Links
- Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Integrated Diversity and Equality Analysis Screen (Canadian Department of Justice)
Useful Empirical Studies and Other Resources
- An Equality Act for A Fairer Victoria – Equal Opportunity Review Final Report (June 2008)
The final report from the review of Victoria’s equal opportunity legislation by former public advocate Julian Gardner, commissioned by former Attorney-General Rob Hulls. The Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic) was enacted in response to this report.
- Equal Rights Trust
The Equal Rights Trust (ERT) is an advocacy organisation, resource centre and a think tank, and focuses on the complex and complementary relationship between different types of discrimination, developing strategies for translating the principles of equality into practice. The website contains the International Declaration of Principles on Equality (see below) and a useful virtual library of academic and other written works as well as the ERT journal “Equal Rights Review”.
- The Declaration of Principles on Equality
The Declaration of Principles on Equality was launched in October 2008 and has 128 original signatories. Since then Equal Rights Trust has campaigned for its universal recognition. ERT aims to achieve the widest possible dissemination of the Declaration and is calling for endorsements from individuals and organisations who want to publicly state their recognition.
- The Equality Trust
The Equality Trust web site was created by the authors of “The Spirit Level: Why more equal societies almost always do better” and advocates to develop a campaign website based on the evidence contained in the book. It contains a repository of resources and publications which support the case for more equal societies and robust legal frameworks.
- Vichealth Research into Discrimination
Vichealth has undertaken extensive work into the health consequences of ethnic and race based discrimination and published a number of useful resources on this topic.
“Ethnic and Race Based Discrimination as a Determinant of Mental Health and Wellbeing" is a summary of the latest research on the occurrence and health consequences of ethnic and race based discrimination.
“Freedom from Discrimination – More than Tolerance” is a report into discrimination affecting migrant and refugee communities in Victoria, its health consequences, community attitudes and solutions
“Building on our strengths: a framework to reduce race-based discrimination and support diversity in Victoria” is an evidence informed framework to guide future practice, programs and policies to address race-based discrimination and promote diversity.
- Equality and Diversity Forum
This Equality and Diversity Forum is a UK based national network of equality and human rights organisations. This website brings together a wide range of equality and human rights information and resources provided by EDF and other organisations.
- INTERIGHTS - International Centre for the legal protection of human rights – Equality Programme
INTERIGHTS Equality Programme, in conjunction with its regional programmes, aims to assist with the elaboration of stronger international and regional jurisprudence in respect of key principles of equality. The website contains information on litigation and campaigns conducted by the Centre as well as an extensive library of resources.
- INTERIGHTS - International Centre for the legal protection of human rights – Non-Discrimination in International Law Handbook
INTERIGHTS has released its 2011 edition of the Non-Discrimination in International Law Handbook, which provides an overview of international human rights developments in the areas of non-discrimination and equality. The Handbook contains information about international law principles, concepts and instruments, key legal standards in international equality protection, and procedural and evidential issues involved in claiming discrimination.
In July 2011 the HRLC convened a conference to encourage and inform debate on the Commonwealth Government's consolidation of its anti-discrimination laws. Check out this page for a wrap-up of the conference, speakers presentations and materials and video footage and photos from the day.